Monday, October 13, 2014

Lemon Cake Pie

One of my favorite websites is Pintrest! I love scrolling through pages of pictures for everything from home furnishings, Holidays, Gardening, and of course, Food! I find a ton of recipes on Pintrest. Some of the recipes are delicious and some are not so good.


Yesterday Bradley was cooking up Mawmaw's Gumbo and I figured since it was Sunday I'd make a dessert. (Really, being a Sunday had nothing to do with it. I would make dessert everyday if I never gained a pound from it!) Last week I bought a ton of Apples and a ton of Lemons with grand plans for them. Once I got home with them, I forgot what those grand plans were. (4 kids will do that to your brain.) So, I started searching on Pintrest.

I scoured through pages and pages of lemon bars and eventually came across this recipe for Lemon Cake  Pie...... Lemon Cake Pie?!

I opened up the page to see the words "Grandmothers recipe box".  No one cooks better than a grandma so I knew this had to be good.
This recipe is so easy to make and OH MY GOSH is it good! It's like a lemon bar and a lemon cake had a lemony baby! The original recipe calls for Pie crust. I omitted it because I was lazy and didn't feel like making one. It was a bit soft on the bottom but still delicious (and I was able to eat it with my hands!)

So, off to the recipe!

 1 Pie Crust (you can get a store bought one or make one yourself), I left this out.
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 eggs, separated
1 1/4 cup milk (I used half and half because I was out of milk)

Preheat oven to 375.
In a medium bowl mix together sugar , butter, flour, salt, lemon peel, and lemon juice.
In another bowl beat egg yolks and milk then add to flour mixture.
Beat egg whites until soft peaks form then fold gently into lemon bowl.

Since I left out the crust, I baked mine in a brownie pan, you can also do individual servings in ramekins.
Bake about 45 minutes or until center jiggles just slightly. Let cool before eating.

Here's the link to the original recipe! I can't wait to try Dana's other recipes!!
http://cravingcomfort.blogspot.com/2011/06/lemon-cake-pie.html

Let me know what you all think!

No comments:

Post a Comment