Tuesday, December 3, 2013

"Rustic" apple pie!




As you all may or May not know, I'm a little bit in love with chef john besh. I finally received my copy of his new cookbook on Saturday.

 By Sunday morning I had read it cover to cover. This is his 3rd cookbook. I love that each of his books has at least one "ah ha" story in it. A story that makes me stop and think and reevaluate my life as a cook. 
This particular book has some great recipes (and some I may never use but I'm glad I know). He also did this 


I love the step by step pictures he's included in some of the recipes (this is also something Ree Drummond does on her blog!) 

So for my first attempt at one of these recipes I made a sweet tart dough for an apple pie.

Basic sweet tart dough
1 stick cold butter
2 1/4 c flour (plus more for rolling)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon salt

In a large mixing bowl cut the butter into the flour until the flour has the consistency of semolina. Add sugar, milk, egg, salt and mix by hand until crumbly dough is formed. Shape dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 min ( or freeze for later use). 

Apple pie filling

5-6 apples ( I use Fuji but you can use any kind you like). Peeled, cored, diced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter, cut into pieces
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
(You can also add walnuts, pecans, or trade out a few of the apples for pears)

Preheat oven to 350. 
On a well floured surface roll the dough into a large oval ( a little less than 1/4 in thick).  Transfer to a baking sheet. (The dough may split, it's no biggie, just push the dough back together)

In a large bowl toss the apples with brown sugar. Add butter and toss again. Add cinnamon and lemon juice, toss again. 


Mound the fruit mix on top of the dough and wrap dough over fruit covering most of it.


 Bake until crust is golden brown (about 1 hour). 


Remove from oven and let cool a bit.



This recipe is easy and delicious! The dough is awesome! A great alternative to regular pie crust. ( it's very quick to make and tastes better than the store bought. 

I'll be making some more john besh recipes soon so keep watching!




No comments:

Post a Comment