Monday, November 25, 2013

Christmas Decorations....craft time!

Alice, the kids, and I spent the last few days decorating the house for Christmas. I'm not really into Thanksgiving. Don't get me wrong, I love to eat....and I love to cook, but for some reason, this year, I'm just really ready for Christmas!
Alice is such a great Mother in Law. We went shopping and she ended up getting some great new decorations for the house (since our new house is so big, I really don't have enough to fill it.) One thing we found when we went shopping was that there are some really cheaply made decorations at ridiculous prices!!
During the course of the shopping trip, we decided to get crafty with certain things. Thanks to Pintrest, we have become a way more creative family! (If you haven't been on pintrest, you need to be!)

Here's our projects!

 

 
We bought 2 of these wreaths for $4. (from Old Time Pottery) They were plain green.  We then bought the little decorations from Hobby Lobby along with a can of spray snow. The decorations were about $6 and the spray snow was $4.  So for about $11 (because we used very little of the spray snow) we made a wreath that was selling everywhere else for at least $40!
 
 
Here's both of them. The Pointsettas were $6 at Lowes. The candy cane striped Christmas tree things were about $12 for all 3 from Old Time Pottery.
 
 
Next, Alice bought us this cute little tree from Lowes ($15, and it came in a watering stand) Ally thought it was colder than 50 degrees here yesterday. Ha!
 

 
We decided to decorate the tree and put some "presents" under it. Amber, Ally, and Andrew all helped wrap some empty boxes to put under there.

 
The finished product. I still need to put a tree topper on it. Luckily, I have enough ornaments to fill 2 full trees!
 
 
Here's my tree inside. One year I'd like to get a bigger one to fit in my big house. This tree is 99% Disney. There are 1 or 2 non Disney ornaments that the kids snuck on there. Normally, I try to fit every ornament I own on this one tree. I really need to buy another tree. ....
 
 
Here's the planter. I used some of the spray snow in it, then added some loose "snow" throughout. We had the white twinkle lights in it from Amber's 16th Birthday and I added a garland wrapped in colored lights to it.
 
 
This is our other project that Alice and Amber did. Bradley made the boxes out of chicken wire, then the girls wrapped it in lights and garland. We found decorations like this for over $50!!  (And they were smaller in size!) Since we only had to buy the garland, it cost about $15 to make both.
 
 
All of the stockings were hung by the chimney with care.....I'm hoping that next Christmas, I'll be able to add one for Elena! :-).....although Bradley may have to make a bigger mantle! ha!
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment