Saturday, November 9, 2013

Cinammon Rolls for breakfast? Yes, Please!!

Normally I only make Cinnamon Rolls once a year....for Christmas breakfast. Last night, Ally had a friend over so I figured, "what the heck, I'll make cinnamon rolls!" When I told Ally that I was making them, her response was, "but it's not Christmas". Ha!
These Cinnamon Rolls are easy to make, especially if you have a bread machine. I always do them the night before so that the next morning all I have to do is pop them in the oven.

For the dough:
1 1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons butter , cold, cut into pieces
3 cup flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 package active dry yeast (or 2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast)

If using your bread machine, just put all ingredients in (liquid first, dry last) and set to dough cycle.
If mixing by hand (or with a kitchen aide), warm milk to 110 degrees, add yeast and let sit until bubbly.

Mix all ingredients together until dough is smooth. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled in size.
(Usually about 2 hours from start to finish).

Take dough and roll out on a floured surface to approximately a 12x15 inch rectangle.
At this point, you will take softened butter or margarine and spread a thin layer across all of the dough (leaving about an inch around all edges).

Filling:
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
mix together and sprinkle over the buttered areas.



Roll up the dough like a jelly roll and pinch edges to seal. Cut with a serrated knife into 1 1/2 inch thick pieces.
Place into pre-greased baking dish.  (at this point I cover with plastic wrap and put in fridge overnight)
Let rise a second time until almost doubled in size.

Oven at 350 degrees
Bake about 30 min or until golden brown.
Remove from oven and cover with icing.

Icing....I've tried cream cheese icing, regular icing, and I've turned them into sticky buns. This is one of my favorites to put on the rolls.
2 Cups Confectioners Sugar
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons orange juice.
Mix together, (I mixed it together in a large measuring cup so I could just pour it straight from there and have less cleanup.)
I then add milk as needed to make a thick glaze. Add the milk in very small amounts, if you add too much at once, the glaze will become too thin.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment