Sunday, November 17, 2013

My idea of great comfort food....Shrimp and Grits!!!

I love comfort food....who doesn't? My favorite comfort dish is Shrimp and Grits. Bradley grew up here in the south and, ironically enough, hadn't heard of shrimp and grits until a few years ago. My kids don't like grits so they get pasta and shrimp on the nights I make this!

With 4 kids, I don't always have time to make meals that take hours and hours. This meal takes me about 30 minutes from start to finish.

1 lb Shrimp (more or less depending on the amount of people your feeding).
2 teaspoons Tony Chachere's
2 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 tablespoon butter, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 to 1/2 cup white wine
splash of heavy cream

Sprinkle Tony's and garlic powder over shrimp, toss to coat.
(I'll be honest, I don't measure seasoning, I just sprinkle on. Use your judgment.)

 

 
Take a sauté pan over medium high heat. Add butter and olive oil. The reason I use both is because the oil helps the butter not to burn.
Once butter/oil mixture is melted and a little bubbly, toss in Shrimp.
Squeeze in Juice of 1/2 lemon and pour in wine. In my original recipe, I used chardonnay. Last night I used this....
 
Yellow Tail Pinot Grigio
 
You can use whatever dry white wine you like to drink. I wouldn't recommend using a sweet wine....
Cook until shrimp is nice and pink. Be careful with cooking shrimp. If you over cook it, it will become a rubbery mess.
When done, remove shrimp to a plate. Add in heavy cream to the sauce left in the pan and let cook down until thickened some. Once thickened some, toss shrimp back in and remove from heat.
Place shrimp and some of the sauce over the grits.
Enjoy!
 
 
Grits:
 
I use Quick Grits. (not instant!)
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
(You can also use 3 cups water and 1 chicken bouillon cube)
2/3 cup quick grits.
2 teaspoon Tony Chachere's
1 cup gouda cheese
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons heavy cream
 
Place water and broth in saucepan over medium heat. Once water starts to simmer, add in grits and seasoning. Cook until grits have absorbed the liquid. Add in butter and heavy cream. Stir for about 2 minutes then add in cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
 
I personally think Gouda tastes the best in cheese grits, however, I have used everything from Gruyere to Sharp cheddar to Monterey Jack. Last night I actually used Colby Jack because that's what I had on hand.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment